Monday 13 February 2012

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crawley

3.5 Stars. (Contemporary YA)
ARC provided by Netgalley
  
Hardcover, 272 pages
Expected publication: February 14th 2012 
Published by Knopf Books for Young Readers

Really sweet with great characters.

I was really excited to read this book for months after I read the synopsis and was sad when I realized it was only out in the UK and would have to wait a while for it's release in the US and Canada. When I say this book available on NetGalley I was so so excited and jumped right into the story.

Graffiti Moon was a really quick read mostly because it was really easy to fall into the storyline and get swept up in the night.

The book opens on Lucy's last day of year 12 and her friends Jazz and Daisy have planned to stay our all night celebrate. Lucy is an artist and has been obsessed with a graffiti artist who goes by the name Shadow since she saw one of his murals years before. She has been desperately looking for Shadow, trying to figure out who he is because she feels like they are meant to be. It sounds cheesy but it ends up being really cute.

On the other side readers meet Ed, Leo and Dylan. Dylan and Daisy are a couple, but are on the rocks and spend the night trying to reconcile with each other. Ed and Lucy have a bit of a history, funny and touching when you learn Ed's side of the story. Leo likes Jazz and the two are very cute together from what readers get to see.

Overall this book was really amusing. It had some great witty moments and some moments that were sweet and tender. I especially liked Ed. He was quiet, thoughtful, insecure at times, and didn't have the greatest perception of himself but this was only more endearing to read. I can't say I loved Lucy (ha! no pun intended) she was cute and had her moments but there wasn't so much that really stood out about her and made me think - yes this girl is something special. I would have liked a bit more from her, for her to be a bit wittier or quirkier. Out of the girls I think I liked Jazz the best. She was funny, outgoing, a go-getter and had the quirkiness I wanted from Lucy. She wasn't afraid to say what was on her mind and I appreciated that.

The descriptions of the graffiti murals were really beautiful and I could see the images in my head which brought an extra dimension to the story.

I really like books that take place in one day and this one was a nice example of that. One day - or night as it were to discover loads about a person you either didn't know or had originally dismissed. Ed and Lucy learn a lot more about each other and I enjoyed that journey for them both.

The writing was nice and the descriptions really pretty.
I think overall I would have liked a bit more from Ed and Lucy, a little more depth to their individual characters, for their inner lives to be fleshed out a bit more so that their outside worlds, the ones they were sharing with each other over the course of the night would have had more of an impact. Sometimes this is an issue with books that only span one evening, because how much can you really fit it and make it believable, but Cath Crowley does spend a bit of time with Ed's life especially and I just felt like there could have been just a touch more done with everything she was revealing about him and his emotions.

A very nice read, with endearing characters and a touching story. 



No comments:

Post a Comment