Friday 20 April 2012

The Kingdom by Amanda Stevens

3 Stars. (Paranormal romance)
ARC provided by Netgalley
  
mass market paperback, 376 pages
Publication: March 27th, 2012
Published by Mira
 
Definitely not as enjoyable as book 1 in the series. Felt like there was something missing. But I am looking forward to book 3 if only to revisit Devlin and Amelia and find out how/if they can resolve their 'ghosts' and get together.

I waffled back and forth between giving this book a 2.5 or 3 star rating. On the one hand I enjoyed revisiting Amelia and her story, but on the other I was disappointed that the setting changed from Charleston to Asher Falls which meant Devlin was excluded from the story as well as the majority of the characters we met in book 1 in the series. Overall, I have to say that this book felt very much like a filler novel rather than any real advancement of plot.

The pieces of the puzzle that are revealed about Amelia and her birth and history are important and relevant sure, but at the same time they all could have been brought to like within the space of two novels. For the amount of information we get, and the way we have to work up to it slowly through out the rest of the drama of The Kingdom I wasn't sure it was worth it in the end.

Although I liked the inclusion of Thane Asher, a new suitor for Amelia's heart, I wasn't as pulled in by the setting or mystery or ghostly presence as I was in The Restorer. The setting which seemed to very alive in book 1 fell flat for me here. Although some plot points were interesting and kept me intrigued and reading I felt that so much more could have been developed.

A worthwhile read if you've read book 1 and want to continue the series for sure, but I thought that so much more could have been made of this book. I'll definitely pick up book 3, I want to know what happens between Devlin and Amelia but I was slightly disappointed by this book after loving The Restorer so desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment