Thursday 15 December 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

5 Stars.

Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous

Obviously this gets 5 stars considering how quickly I whipped through it. Utterly captivating from the first page and I think even better than the Hunger Games . A must read for dystopian fans!

What a wild ride. Never a dull moment in this dystopian world created by new author Veronica Roth. Stepping into this new Chicago was a wild ride and one I absolutely adored. From the first page readers a brought into the society of factions - 5 in total - developed to make sure society remained calm, content, orderly and problem free.
Based of virtues, the 5 factions are as follows: Candor - the honest, Erudite - the intelligent, Abnegation - the selfless, Dauntless - the brave and Amity - the peaceful.

Our main protagonist, Beatrice was born into Abnegation. Each year, all sixteen year olds are put through a simulation test to assess the faction best suited to them. They are then meant to choose between the faction they were born into and the faction they want to live in for the rest of their adult lives. This is Beatrice's year to choose and the result is both surprising to herself and the rest of her family.

Thrust into a new world, Beatrice renames herself Tris and must follow a rigorous initiation faze in order to prove that she belongs with the faction of her choice. What follows for the reader is a roller coaster of events that doesn't let up until the end. I was addicted to this book and seriously could not bear to put it down. There never seemed an appropriate moment to close the cover and I longed to keep going even when sleep was necessary. I wanted so badly to read about Tris's experiences and how she would fare against the devious and sometimes downright nefarious actions of her fellow initiates.

When I say there is action in this book I mean it wholeheartedly. There is never a moment when somethings isn't happening and readers are consistently on the edge of their seats.

Tris was a nice character to follow. She was young and sometimes naive, but also brave and tough. She was determined to succeed, even against the toughest of adversaries and there was never a moment when she backed down. That isn't to say she didn't have her slightly annoying moments. She is thrust into unfamiliar territory and is discovering the reality of her faction, as well as they other four in a very in your face sort of way. I don't want to give any spoilers so I'll leave it at that. Tris is trying to find her balance and at some points she is insecure or uncertain, in other brash and unkind but all her emotions make perfect sense for her circumstances, especially given her upbringing and her desire to make herself and others proud. Although some of her personality traits and decisions were slightly aggravating, it is only because they are human and real which more often than not removes the gloss we readers tend to like in our stories. I actually appreciated that Roth took things to the edges, she didn't shy away from the tough moments or make her characters unbelievable. She didn't succumb to convenience which I found was sometimes the case in The Hunger Games series, which is this stories closest comparison.

Tris's burgeoning relationship with one of her instructors was well developed and very sweet and tender. I loved reading the bits devoted to them and the moments the two shared tempered the action and softened both their personalities. It made them each human underneath the persona they had to develop in order to survive within their chosen factions. The boy she fancies (I won't divulge his name in order to avoid spoilers) is both charming, cold and distant, but very tender and loving. His history was well developed and I loved that his true personality the one locked beneath his tough exterior, was slowly unraveled for the readers. It made me appreciate his character all the more.

The characters were great, the action full throttle and the developing and overarching story very interesting! I can't wait to read the next two in the series to see how and where everything revealed in book one will develop. Like I mentioned, if the next two installments are as good as Divergent , The Hunger Games will soon be ousted as best dystopian YA series.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So happy you loved Divergent! I flew through it as well! I'm already counting down the days until the next book in the series is released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you enjoyed Divergent!! it is such a fantastic read and was my first dystopian novel to read! lol Natalie above recommended it to me in the summer, lol!

    I just wanted to let you know that I have awarded you the Liebster Blog Award today!! Congrats, hehe!! The link below will bring you to my post and from there you can accept it! :)

    http://hardcoverharlequin.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-am-so-honoured-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete